Last updated 23 August 2016
You can transfer applications between Heroku accounts or to an organization of which you are a member at any time via the Heroku Dashboard. Billing responsibility will transfer to the new owner as of the time of accepting the transfer and the original owner will be responsible for pro-rated usage up until that point. After the transfer is complete, the original owner will be a collaborator on the app.
Only the application owner can initiate a transfer request.
To initiate the transfer of the application:
- In Dashboard, click the Settings tab of the application.
- Scroll down to the “Transfer Ownership” section.
- Click the “Select a new owner” field. The list of people who are collaborators on the app and the list of organizations to which you belong will be displayed.
- If you don’t see the person you want to transfer the app to, then you must first add them as a collaborator. If you can’t see the organization that you want to transfer the app to, then you must ask the org admin to add you to the org.
- Select an item from the list.
- Click “Transfer”.
The new owner can receive the transfer by accepting the pending transfer request at the top of the dashboard, once it’s initiated:
As the new owner, you will have the option to accept or decline all transfer requests. If the app has an ongoing cost, such as paid add-ons or dynos, then you will be asked to enter in a credit card before accepting, if you haven’t done so already.
Note that you will also be asked to enter your credit card information if verification is required.
The owner can cancel the transfer request at any time before the new owner accepts or declines the request.