Last updated 20 February 2019
You can transfer applications between Heroku accounts or to a team of which you are a member at any time via the Heroku Dashboard or the Heroku CLI command
apps:transfer. Billing responsibility will transfer to the new owner as of the time of accepting the transfer and the original owner will be responsible for pro-rated usage up until that point. After the transfer is complete, the original owner will be a collaborator on the app.
If you are looking to transfer all apps within a pipeline and want to keep the pipeline intact you should use the pipeline ownership transfer. This will transfer the pipelines ownership including all apps within it. Transferring individual apps within a pipeline will remove them from the pipeline and it will need to be re-created by the new owner.
Only the application owner can initiate a transfer request.
Apps can be transferred to a collaborator on the app. If the user is not a collaborator, first add them as a collaborator. If you can’t see the team that you want to transfer the app to, then you must ask the team admin to add you to the team.
To initiate the transfer of the application using the CLI, use
apps:transfer. For example:
$ heroku apps:transfer -a <app-to-transfer> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
If you need to transfer multiple apps, use the
$ heroku apps:transfer --bulk <email@example.com> ? Select applications you would like to transfer (Press <space> to select, <a> to toggle all, <i> to inverse selection) ❯◯ myapp (heroku) ◯ myotherapp (heroku)
To initiate the transfer of the application using the Dashboard:
- In Dashboard, click the Settings tab of the application.
- Scroll down to the “Transfer Ownership” section.
- Click the “Select a new owner” field. The list of people who are collaborators on the app and the list of Teams and Organizations to which you belong will be displayed.
- If you don’t see the person you want to transfer the app to, then you must first add them as a collaborator. If you can’t see the team that you want to transfer the app to, then you must ask the team admin to add you to the team.
- Select an item from the list.
- Click “Transfer.”
To initiate a transfer of one or more applications from a Team to another Team using the Dashboard:
- In Dashboard, click the team name of the team you would like to transfer apps into
- Click the “Transfer apps” button
- Use the select box to select apps from your personal apps list, or another team’s apps list
- Select the apps you would like to transfer to the team
- Click “transfer apps.”
The new owner can receive the transfer by accepting the pending transfer request at the top of the dashboard, once it’s initiated:
As the new owner, you will have the option to accept or decline all transfer requests. If the app has an ongoing cost, such as paid add-ons or dynos, then you will be asked to enter in a credit card before accepting, if you haven’t done so already.
Note that you will also be asked to enter your credit card information if verification is required.
The owner can cancel the transfer request at any time before the new owner accepts or declines the request.