This add-on is operated by Crazy Ant Labs
Keep your team notified on all Heroku app changes in Slack
Activity To Go
Last updated 23 January 2020
Table of Contents
Activity To Go allows you to receive notifications whenever a change occur in your Heroku app. It keeps you and your team informed and also allows you to integrate change notifications to other systems.
After one or more subscriptions are setup, you will be automatically notified on changes to your app.
Provisioning the add-on
Activity To Go can be attached to a Heroku application via the CLI:
A list of all plans available can be found here.
$ heroku addons:create activitytogo -----> Adding activitytogo to sharp-mountain-4005... done, v18 (free)
You can attach your Activity To Go add-on to another app:
$ heroku addons:attach activitytogo-tapered-77105 -a sushi -----> Attaching activitytogo-tapered-77105 to sushi.. done, v18 (free)
After you provision Activity To Go, go to the dashboard (see below) to configure the integrations and events to notify on.
The Activity To Go dashboard allows you to set up event subscriptions.
You can access the dashboard via the CLI:
$ heroku addons:open activitytogo Opening activitytogo for sharp-mountain-4005
or by visiting the Heroku Dashboard and selecting the application in question. Select Activity To Go from the Add-ons menu.
To create a new subscription, click the Add subscription button and follow the instructions. You can also edit or duplicate an existing subscription, pause, resume or delete a subscription.
After you create a subscription you can also view the latest events for it on the dashboard.
Subscriptions define the types of notifications you’d like to be informed about - Topics - and the Actions you’d like to take when notifications are triggered.
When creating or editing a subscription:
- Define a nickname to identify the subscription by (optional).
- Select one or more topics (see below).
- Select an action to take (see below).
The following is a list of event types that Activity To Go can can notify you on in case of changes in your apps:
- api:addon-attachment : create, destroy
- api:addon : create, destroy, update
- api:app : create, destroy, update
- api:build : create, update
- api:collaborator : create, destroy, update
- api:domain : create, destroy
- api:formation : destroy, update
- api:sni-endpoint : create, destroy, update
- api:ssl-endpoint : create, destroy, update
See here for more information on specific event types.
Activity To Go allows you to use one action per subscription. The available actions are:
- Send a Slack message
- Stream to Amazon S3
Slack messages are great to keep your team up to date on what’s going on in your Heroku apps.
To configure the Slack message action, you will be required to create a one-way webhook in Slack in order to allow Activity To Go to post messages to a specific person or channel in your Slack workspace. Once you authorize Activity To Go to post messages, you can create the subscription and receive notifications to your Slack workspace.
Activity To Go can only post messages to your Slack channels. It won’t ask for permissions to read any of your data.
Amazon S3 action
Activity To Go can also stream events to files in your Amazon S3 bucket, so that you can store this information for security compliance purposes, further analysis or integration with other 3rd party tools.
To configure the Amazon S3 action:
- Create an Amazon S3 bucket in your preferred region.
- Configure the Amazon S3 action: copy the bucket name, select the bucket region and whether or not server-side encryption is required.
- Click the Generate bucket policy button to copy the generated bucket policy to the dashboard.
- Edit your bucket policy in the AWS Console and paste the generated policy to allow Activity To Go to stream data into the bucket. If a bucket policy already exists, you will have to merge our policy with your current one.
Migrating between plans
Application owners should carefully manage the migration timing to ensure proper application function during the migration process.
heroku addons:upgrade command to migrate to a new plan.
$ heroku addons:upgrade activitytogo:newplan -----> Upgrading activitytogo:newplan to sharp-mountain-4005... done, v18 ($49/mo) Your plan has been updated to: activitytogo:newplan
Removing the add-on
You can remove Activity To Go via the CLI:
This will destroy all associated data and cannot be undone!
$ heroku addons:destroy activitytogo -----> Removing activitytogo from sharp-mountain-4005... done, v20 (free)
All Activity To Go support and runtime issues should be submitted via one of the Heroku Support channels. Any non-support related issues or product feedback is welcome at email@example.com.