Last updated August 31, 2021
Salesforce Authenticator is a mobile application that can be used as a MFA verification method with Heroku, Salesforce as well as other services.
The app sends you a notification when you try to login to Heroku. You approve the login with just a tap on your mobile device or block it if someone else is trying to access your account. You can enable Einstein Automation to automatically approve login whenever you’re in a location you trust.
Registering Salesforce Authenticator
For registering Salesforce Authenticator as a MFA verification method, start at Account Settings and select
Setup Multi-Factor Authentication (or
Manage Multi-Factor Authentication if you have already enabled other verification methods).
Add Salesforce Authenticator option on the next page. You will be prompted to enter a phrase.
- Download Salesforce Authenticator from the App Store or Google Play and install it on your iOS or Android mobile device.
- Open the app and tap
Add an Account
- The app shows you a unique two-word phrase. Enter the phrase on the Setup page.
Connecton your mobile device to complete registration.
For optimal experience, enable push notifications on your mobile device.
MFA Verification with Salesforce Authenticator
To log in using Salesforce Authenticator:
- After entering your email and password, you get a push notification on your mobile device.
- Simply tap on the notification and approve your login to complete MFA verification!
- If you frequently log in from the same location, you can automate approvals by enabling the
Always approve from this locationoption in the app.
If your mobile device doesn’t have connectivity or you have not enabled push notifications, you can still log in using six-digit TOTP codes generated by Salesforce Authenticator.
TIP: You can use Salesforce Authenticator with any other services that use an Authenticator app to generate One Time Passwords. Your accounts can be securely backed up and restored to another device if needed. You can even approve logins on your Apple Watch.