Third-Party Authenticator Apps
Last updated April 26, 2021
Table of Contents
Heroku supports the use of third-party authenticator apps that generate temporary codes based on the OATH time-based one-time password (TOTP) algorithm (RFC 6238) as an MFA verification method. There are a wide variety of apps to choose from, including free versions. Options include Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, and Authy.
Registering a Third-Party Authenticator App
To register a TOTP authenticator app as an MFA verification method:
- Download and install the authenticator app on your mobile device.
- In Heroku, go to Account Settings and select
Setup Multi-Factor Authentication(or
Manage Multi-Factor Authenticationif you have already enabled other verification methods).
AddOne Time Password Generator option on the next page. A page with a QR code is displayed.
- Launch the mobile app on your device, choose the option for adding a new account, and scan the QR code. if you have trouble scanning the QR code,, use the alternative option to enter a setup key.
- In Heroku, enter the QR code generated by the app and click ‘Connect` to complete setup.
MFA Verification with an Authenticator App
To log in using a third-party authenticator app:
- After entering your email and password, you are prompted to enter the code generated by your app.
- Open the app on your mobile device, then enter the code in Heroku.
TIP: TOTP authenticator apps do not require mobile connectivity to generate codes.