This add-on is operated by New Relic
Monitor, troubleshoot, and tune production web applications.
New Relic APM
Last updated 05 March 2018
Table of Contents
New Relic APM is available as a Heroku add-on that provides on-demand application performance management. New Relic offers seamless integration with the Heroku platform, enabling immediate and automatic access to New Relic APM’s comprehensive capabilities for monitoring, troubleshooting, and tuning web apps.
Adding the New Relic add-on to your Heroku app provides insight into:
- Health and availability of your entire application, via application monitoring
- Customer satisfaction, via real-time end user experience monitoring
- Web server resource data for Windows and Linux, via server monitoring
Compatibility and requirements
Available Heroku plan levels for the New Relic add-on currently include:
The New Relic add-on is available for these supported agent languages and frameworks:
- Java (requires New Relic Java agent 3.17.0 or higher)
- Ruby (any Rack app, including Rails and Sinatra)
Follow standard procedures to install the New Relic add-on, and then continue with the configuration procedures for your specific language agent.
Install the New Relic add-on
To install the add-on, run the following Toolbelt command with the appropriate Heroku plan level name for your New Relic add-on. For example, if you have the Wayne plan level, run:
heroku addons:create newrelic:wayne
Installing the add-on automatically creates a private New Relic account integrated with Heroku, configures access for Heroku servers, and adds a New Relic APM link to your Add-ons list in the Heroku UI. Continue with the procedures which follow to configure the New Relic agent.
Configure your New Relic agent
After installing the add-on, configure the New Relic agent for your specific language or framework. The New Relic documentation provides detailed information about installation, configuration, and additional features supported by each agent.
- Java, including standard installation, Maven, and Scala SBT/Play 2 dependencies
- Python or Django quick start
After you configure the New Relic agent, generate traffic for your app, then wait a few minutes for New Relic to begin collecting and reporting data.
View your performance data
You must enter New Relic through the Heroku interface, not the New Relic website; otherwise the collected data will not report correctly.
To view data about application performance, end user experience, and server performance:
- From your Heroku dashboard, select the app that has the New Relic add-on installed.
- From your list of add-ons, select the New Relic icon.
- After being redirected via SSO to your account on the New Relic site, view your performance data from the New Relic APM Overview page.
For more information about how to get the most out of using New Relic, see New Relic’s Documentation site, including:
Upgrade an existing New Relic installation
To keep your add-on’s New Relic agent up-to-date, follow standard procedures to upgrade your specific agent.
Uninstall your New Relic add-on
Before you uninstall your New Relic add-on, uninstall the New Relic agent:
Then follow standard procedures to uninstall a Heroku add-on.